Thursday, March 29, 2012

..."eat your veggies!"

     Six years:  that's how long it's been since I've had a hamburger, or hotdog, or steak, or any other red-meat food.  I decided to give up the "red stuff" after reading an article my cousin, Renee, posted online about how eating too much of the stuff may not be the best for your health.  Now I know what many of you are thinking... "too much of anything is bad for you, Casey," and I'm sure you're right.  But for me, I decided it was something I could live without.
 My Quick-n-Easy Vegetarian Taco Soup (tomatoes, corn, kidney beans, taco seasoning)

      Now before I get to harping too much here, let me just say that I'm not one of these people who looks at it as a moral issue.  My young-adult pastor and mentor, Tony, would tell me "that the Lord made every animal clean and put them here for man to eat."  (By the way, I love you very much Pappy Tony) And I would have to agree with him. But I do think we, as a society, have in some instances gone too far.  As a lover of animals, the horrible treatment some of them face is heart-breaking.  I remember seeing a story on the news one night, about the horrific treatment of cows at one slaughter house.  It truly broke my heart.  Some argue that these animals do not have souls, but friends, they hurt just as we hurt.  Many of you have pets, and I know you can't deny that they know everything about you.  My little dog, Tucker, sure knows everything about me.  When I cry, he knows I'm hurting and is there to lick the tears away.  And when I'm excited, he runs frantically like a chicken with its' head cut off (...bad analogy there...) and gets excited, too.  So yeah, for me, it did become something with a little more meaning. But ANYWAYS, enough of that.........>>>>>
      You're probably wondering where on earth this is going, so I will tell you.  I was talking with my friend and co-worker, Carrie, about my determination to eat healthier and make smarter decisions.  I mentioned that I didn't eat red-meat, but on occasion would opt for grilled chicken and seafood for protein sake.  Carrie shared with me that she had recently watched an interesting movie called "Forks Over Knives" (click to go to the movie's website) that examines the health benefits of not eating animal-based and processed foods. I've yet to see the movie, but definitely plan to watch it soon.  But it was our little conversation that put me to thinking, and more importantly, established this will within me to strive to make healthier food choices.
      What's great, is there's so many wonderful recipes out there that are good for you!  Veggie-based "pastas" and sweet potato "burgers"... recipes for which I've found a la' Pinterest! (click on link under the picture to see recipes for each)


    
     Lastly, I'd like to add that I'm not saying everyone should give up "real-deal" hamburgers or pork loin or good ole' fashion fried chicken, but I would like to encourage you to make overall healthier decisions, too!  Like reaching for fresh veggies and fruits (it's the perfect time since the gardens will soon be plentiful) instead of a potato chip bag, or taking the stairs instead of the elevator, or playing outside with your kids instead of falling down in front of the computer screen as soon as you walk in the door.  Because every little bit counts!
      As for me, I've picked one day of the week (Saturday) to indulge and enjoy an occasional cupcake or croissant.  Because really now, what's life without a little indulging, right?!        

No comments:

Post a Comment