Sunday, April 1, 2012

"Living in a Fantasy World"

     I've always been, I guess what you'd call, a "big dreamer".  From the time I was old enough to realize there were magical places to visit (London, England), majestic things to see (the Grand Canyon), and heartfelt acts of love to share (mission trip to "World Changers" in Alabama), I have been dreaming big, setting goals and making lists. From grammar school to high school and throughout college, living and working in New York City has been my heart's desire.  Then there are my other life dreams, such as those on my "leap list":  to travel cross-country and see the Grand Canyon, as well as those on my "bucket list":  to hike the Grand Canyon.  So as you can pretty well tell, (and for those of you that know me, you already know) I am a BIG dreamer.  
     On this journey called life, I am learning that things may not always go the way we plan them to.  We run into set-backs and hit a few potholes along the way to our goals (which is why we have a great BIG God to catch us when we fall), but that doesn't mean we should give up on our dreams!
     A friend of mine, and follower of my blog, sent me an email this past week with this quote.  It's from C.S. Lewis' "The Weight of Glory", and it inspired me greatly as it did my friend.  I am so thankful he shared it with me (thank you, Matt).                     
      
     "If there lurks in most modern minds the notion that to desire our own good and to earnestly hope for the enjoyment of it is a bad thing, I suggest that this notion has crept in from Kant and the Stoics and is no part of the Christian faith. Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that our Lord finds our desires, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling around with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."
     
     I couldn't help but smile after reading this quote.  At once, it brought back a memory that had (for a very short time) stuck to me like glue.  I had someone say to me not so long ago, "Casey, you try to live in a fantasy world."  Now, I'm not sure what they meant by that exactly; maybe that I need a reality check? :) But as I write this, I can't help but laugh... because this person was so right-- I do live in a fantasy world... my fantasy!  My dreams, my goals, my desires-- this is my reality!  
     I thought it was so fitting that the sermon today at Hillsong NYC touched on this topic.  God works in amazing ways!  Brother John Gray from Dallas, Texas shared a wonderful message, from which I took away this special point:  "those crazy, out-there dreams you have inside your head were put there by the God of wonders!  No dream is too big for Him.  He is omnipotent!"  Amen for that, Amen. 
    So friends, don't give up on your dreams, whatever they may be. Take them to the Lord, and pray.  Seek Him, and He will give you the desires of your heart.  For we know, "as it is written, eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love him." (I Corinthians 2:9)  
    Hallelujah! I hope this inspires you also. 
My NYC view, tonight.


    

2 comments:

  1. Inspiration indeed! :)

    so so happy for you and your reality! Praise God!

    ps... jealous you get to attend Hillsong every Sunday! :)

    love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're an inspiration to me, Cassandra! :) Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete