Wednesday, March 21, 2012

"Should'a... Would'a... Could'a..." == So why don'tcha?

    My longtime best friend sent me an email today with this little poem attached.  The words really spoke to my heart, and I loved it so much that I'm ready to go outside and shout it from the rooftops! (which I actually could do from my the roof deck of my NY apartment :)


Ever follow a butterfly's erratic flight?
Or gazed at the sun into the fading night?

You better slow down. Don't dance so fast.
Time is short. The music won't last.

Do you run through each day on the fly?
When you ask: How are you? Do you hear the reply?
When the day is done, do you lie in your bed
With the next hundred chores running through your head?

You'd better slow down. Don't dance so fast.
Time is short. The music won't last.

Ever told your child, we'll do it tomorrow?
And in your haste, not see his sorrow?
Ever lost touch, let a good friendship die
Cause you never had time to call and say, "Hi"?

You'd better slow down, Don't dance so fast.
Time is short, The music won't last.

When you run so fast to get somewhere
You miss half the fun of getting there.
When you worry and hurry through your day,
It is like an unopened gift thrown away.

Life is not a race do take it slower.
Hear the music before the song is over.
 
By David L. Weatherford
From "The 4-Hour Week" - by Timothy Ferriss

    I wonder how many times in our lifetimes we utter the words, "I should'a"... or "I wish I would'a"... or maybe, "if I could'a"?  Friends, what's stopping you?!  Now, I'm not saying you should by any means throw caution to the wind, go out and quit the job you hate, trade in the kiddies, and go live in the woods like you said you were going to do when you were 12.  But if there's a friend you need to make amends with-- do it now.  If you're not sure your mom knows how much you love her-- call her.  Tell that co-worker, who has never met the Savior of the world, what she is missing-- tomorrow!  And for happiness sake-- have a scoop of ice cream (or two) every now and then... even if summer is right around the corner and you need to fit into that "itsy, bitsy, teenie, weenie, yellow polka dot bikini"! 
    Don't let another day go by that you're in so big a hurry that you forget to thank someone for holding the door for you, or kiss your kids goodbye before they head out for school in the morning.  For we know our kids grow up, our loved ones die, and our hopes and dreams sometimes fade into only 'what could have beens'.  You only get one life; one journey; one trip around the merry-go 'round; one dance; one song.  Live your dreams.  Shoot for the stars.  Go the extra mile.  Forgive and love.  Why don'tcha

~Thank you Fe-Fe for the email that inspired this post. Love you.~

No comments:

Post a Comment