Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"Nolita Fairytale"

     This past weekend, I spent my time wandering the fascinating neighborhoods of SoHo, Little Italy, Chinatown and... Nolita!  I had been talking with some of the girls at Tribeca about doing some browsing and they were adamant about me visiting this section of Manhattan. 
     Of course, I was super-excited to embark on my little journey (especially since there was shopping to be done), so I got up early and headed out the door first thing Saturday morning. I was bound and determined to find the perfect little coffee shop (not a Starbucks or other everyday coffee chain), a unique little place with a certain quaintness to it. After taking the subway to Spring Street, I'm happy to say, I didn't have far to go before I found the perfect place! The scent of espresso drifted out onto the NoHo sidewalk, and one wiff and I practically ran inside.  It was the cutest little coffee shop; magazines and newspapers strewn across the bar, fresh-baked muffins and croissants staring up at me from glass containers, and one mean-looking espresso machine working overtime behind the barista.  I had already made the decision to indulge this day, so I happily ordered a beautiful brown croissant and warm mocha latte.  And let me tell you, it was absolutely delicious!     
     After catching up on all the latest happenings in the New York Times, I stashed my newspaper and hit the streets again, this time on a mission to find the best boutiques and vintage shops in all of SoHo.  If you know anything about SoHo, you know the area is known for its shops and street vendors-- and for good reason!  Every street corner I turned, I found beautiful handmade jewelry and boutiques out the wahzoo!  It was my own little paradise. I journeyed in to many of the stores, only to browse and gawk over the most intricate (and yes, expensive) blouses, dresses and coats.  There were, every now and then, pieces that were somewhat more in my price-range, but even still, I denied myself the pleasure in fear there may have to be some repenting done if I gave in.
      Instead, I opted for an awesome little arts and crafts market I found while wondering the cobble-stoned streets of SoHo.  And that's where I found this little beauty....
 ..............................a handmade, vintage-glass ring with the Eiffel Tower in the background.  And as you can imagine, I was pretty happy with my purchase!
     Lastly, I decided to head to Nolita for a visit to a "sweet" little local hot-spot.  Sex and the City may have made the "Magnolia Bakery" famous, but let me tell you, the "Little Cupcake Bakeshop" shouldn't be forgotten!  Upon walking in the place, I felt like a kid in a candy store, hardly able to contain myself for excitement.  There were all sorts of desserts, specifically cupcakes of all flavors and every shade of color.  Red Velvet, Blue Velvet, Peanut Butter and Jelly (yeah buddy!), and my personal favorite:  "Mott's Street", a.k.a. Tiramisu, complete with marscapone cheese frosting, an espresso-infused cake center and cocoa dust. This little cupcake seriously changed my life.  I didn't know cupcakes could taste that scrumptious!
      Finally I, of course, posted pictures of my weekend outing on Facebook, and a sweet friend (hi Amy!) commented that my cupcake extravaganza reminded her of Vanessa Carlton's song, "Nolita Fairytale".  So I thought, what a perfect title for this post of mine... because this day was definitely a fairytale in my book!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Casey! Love reading about your NYC adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! I enjoy keeping up with your blog as well! Noah is growing so fast-- he is such a cutie! And THANK YOU for providing me with the perfect title for this post! :)

      Delete