Monday, October 1, 2012

I love elephants.

     It's a fact:  I love elephants.  I like the color black.  And I have a thing for four-leaf clovers.  But I seriously adore these massive four-legged, trunk-laden beauties.
     One of my favorite memories from grammar school was from the time my fourth grade class took a field trip to the zoo. Of all the animals there, my favorite was the elephant. Which is why I jumped at the chance to climb atop one of the giant creatures for a ride, (led by a guide, of course). I straddled her best I could with my short little legs and held on tight. And it was nothing short of incredible. Big black eyes, smooth grey skin, a sweet and gentle nature; she was absolutely beautiful. As the guide led us around the circular path, I remember leaning down to whisper into one of her-- the elephant's, not the guide's-- massive ears. Whether or not she heard or understood me, I didn't care. I fell in love with her right then and there. ...and for a minute, she was my Rosey.
     Which, you might guess, leads me into the topic of my list of "favorite things" for the week!  If you've read the book or seen the movie, you probably picked up on my "Rosie" reference. 

"Water for Elephants" is one of my all-time favorites. 
If you've seen the movie- read the book. If you've read the book- see the movie.
I love them both.

Next favorite: the adorable little Elephant House Cafe.
If I'm in Edinburgh, Scotland... you better believe I'm here!  Not only is the food delicious, but the place is filled with all sorts of little elephant nick-knacks, big and small, from all over the world!  And did I mention, it's know as the "birthplace of Harry Potter"?! Whattttt?.. click on the link above to check it out. :)

And lastly: the adorable little tokens that sparked the idea for this post: my new elephant earrings!
My gorgeous, fashion-savvy, doll-face of a friend, Kayte G., passed these beauties on to me after I made quite the fuss about them!  Bless her, she took them right out of her ears, and handed them over... love her! 
Best early birthday present ever... I think so.  :)


1 comment:

  1. Having the one thing you love in your life is certainly the best gift ever for your birthday. Like you, there are lots of people who also adore these massive but gentle animals. Who wouldn’t love such a cute creature, right? I bet you would like to go on a trip to Africa and see for yourself the beauty of elephants in the wild.


    @Mariah Mosley

    ReplyDelete